Sunday, March 7, 2021

Winter Lost Dutchman Hike



If it rains in the Valley, it often snows in the mountains!
We got a teensy bit of rain, so we decided to get out to see the snow on the mountains.  We didn't want to do a day trip, so we went to Lost Dutchman State Park, where there's a better view.  Sometimes (rarely), even the tips of the peaks at Lost Dutchman will have snow, but not this time.




The grasses were smashed down, I assume from rain run-off.




We didn't get a lot of rain, and in spite of it, the desert was still brown and dry-looking.  We have had measly monsoon seasons the past few years and are in a drought, so everything is extra crispy.



But it's still beautiful!















That's our trail!


One of the many things I love about the desert is the looooong views.  Without forests (which I miss), a person can see for miles and miles and miles.  There's something about gazing into the distance that calms me down (I read an article about the positive effect of gazing into the distance a while back, but I haven't been able to find it again!)




I wore my brace to protect my weaker ankle.  It's uncomfortable and pokes me, but it does the trick.



Sometimes I have to reorganize it.







Four Peaks with snow:


It was chilly with the wind, but overall comfortable.



Curved-Bill Thrasher:







See that sticking-up rock formation near the middle of the photo?


It's known as Praying Hands.  Can you see why?










Phainopepla:




Thanks for hiking with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! xo