Thursday, November 4, 2021

Clothes For Chilly Fall Weather

I've been living here in Minnesota 2 weeks now after living in the Arizona desert for over 25 years (amazingly!)  Here are some things I'm remembering about cold weather living!


#1:
 No: T-shirts under sweaters
Yes: Blouses under sweaters

Why?  Sweaters stick to t-shirts and look lumpy, but sweaters glide over blouses, meaning that things look smooth!

My favorite new sweater (more about it below)
blouse: Target years ago (cute one, similar here)
straight-leg cropped jeans: Macy's (similar here)
lug-sole boots: RocketDog (Amazon)
faux-leather moto jacket: Levi's (Amazon, I think)


#2:
No: Short boxy sweaters
Yes: Long tunic-length slim sweaters

Why? I know the style right now in the young girls is to wear semi-baggy jeans with cropped boxy sweaters, but I don't even like how it looks on them, to say nothing about how it looks on me!  I feel my best when I'm wearing a longer top and slimmer bottom.  Unless of course it's summer and I'm wearing a skirt, in which case I tuck in my shirt and create a waist.  According to all the style rules, I should be focusing on creating a waist in the cooler months, too, but I don't like how outfits look when I tuck blouses and sweaters into pants, so I just don't do it.  Perhaps it is because my torso is shorter so it looks better to my eye to lengthen it?  I'm not sure, but I know what looks right to me, and it's long on the top over slim on the bottom.  

While we're on this topic, it's actually kind of hard to find longer sweaters.  Blouses I have in goodly amount, but sweaters in the shops tend to be boxy and extremely short this season.  BUT I found an excellent one (I'm wearing one of them right now!) in lots of colors, some patterns . . . here it is!

It's the same sweater I am wearing in the photo at the top of the post.

This is the sweater I'm wearing right this minute.  It's everything I've been looking for in a sweater and I have two more on the way in different colors (marled blue and gold striped).

#3:
No: Ears open to the wind
Yes: Beanies!!!

I don't think this needs much explanation, but cold wind blows right into the ear canal and HURTS!  Hats are the way to solve this and they're very fashionable.  I've always been a hat person and I'm thrilled to have a reason to wear hats more often now! (Sun protection in the summer, ear protection in the winter!)

Here's my favorite new beanie: Universal Thread (Target, comes in lots of colors!)







#4:
No: Skinny jeans
Yes: Straight-leg or girlfriend jeans

Why? Jeans that leave a little room can be worn OVER fleece-lined tights!  I haven't needed to do this yet, but I probably will later when winter arrives!  Jeans that aren't so tight are also more comfortable for lounging, cuddling cats, cleaning, cooking, etc.




In a similar vein, ponte pants are excellent for winter.  They feel warm, they are stretchy, and they can easily go under snow pants or over something else warm.

These I found years ago at Ross in Arizona.



#5:
No: Cropped anything
Yes: Longer, thigh-length everything!

Why?  Chilliness does not affect just the upper body!  I remember my upper thighs and butt cheeks getting very chilly in years past, and I prefer my jackets and coats for colder weather to be longer.  This also includes blouses and other tops.


Additional YES to the following . . . 

* ankle boots - my ankles get cold and they would like to stay warm!

* thick-soled boots/shoes - adds additional space between the freezing ground and my feet!

* sneakers with rubber sole - keeps out any water or snow!

* colorful outerwear - jackets, scarves, hats - adds FUN to a dark and sometimes gloomy time of year! (more on this in a future post)

* hot water bottles - there's one on my feet right this minute, and cats love them, too!

* hand lotion - having lived in the desert for the past 25 years, I'm quite surprised how dry my skin is having arrived here and having been walking a lot in the chilly breezes!

I like the texture and smell of this one:


I sometimes layer this one on top because it's extra heavy but still natural and lovely:



* extra face moisturizer - same!  These are my favorites:

Mad Hippie Antioxidant Face Oil



* dangly earrings & other delicate jewelry - it's nice to feel feminine in spite of all the layers!

There's what I'm remembering so far from growing up in a cold environment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! xo