Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Switzerland Day 3: Interlaken And Lauterbrunnen

 


We made it to Switzerland!

Headed down into the main train station (Hauptbahnhof) in Zuerich, we were very hot and sweaty and tired.  I was very excited to show my parents Lauterbrunnen that very same day!


Greg used the SBB (Schweizerischen Bundesbahnen, Swiss federal trains) app to find out when the next train left for Interlaken and which track we needed to find.  We had a bit, so I went into the first Coop of our trip and bought some gluten-free bread and treats for lunch.

I think everyone else ended up getting fruit and sandwiches.


Glute-free bread (my favorite brand is German, and it's widely carried in Switzerland) and a peach!



Look at all the varieties! (Some of them contain quinoa, however, which is not a safe ingredient for me, so I still have to read the ingredients list.) 



"Defekt!"


Then we took the train from Zuerich to Interlaken.


Greg and I left my parents at the train station on a bench and went off to find our rental place.

It was warm and HUMID, but there was a fresh breeze.



Another Coop!  My favorite Swiss grocery store!



Interlaken is in a valley between two lakes, and there are beautiful views everywhere.


There are usually paragliders coming down from the mountaintops to the fields in the valley. 






We were very happy when we found our little rental apartment!  The key was waiting for us, there was a KOI POND with a pretty garden, and there was a nice kitchen (which I didn't have much time to use, but the fridge and freezer were helpful!)







The views were lovely in all directions.





Then we went back to pick up my parents from the train station.  It was about a 10 minute walk.









The chalets are adorable!









The fish in the pond:



A cute little map of Interlaken.



This is the front of our rental place.  We stayed in a separate little house in the back garden.



When we went to the train station, we got to walk over this lovely rushing river.




And there was a big cow bell hanging from the rafter in our kitchen!



We walked by the Swiss Selfie Museum, so we took a selfie!


I notice that I'm wearing a different t-shirt now, and I can't remember exactly when that happened!
We haven't slept yet since we landed, but I think I got to our rental place and put on a light t-shirt instead of the see-through t-shirt and cardigan I had been forced to wear.



After we got our luggage dropped off and after we got a bit refreshed, we hopped on a train to Lauterbrunnen.  We had bought Swiss Travel Passes before our trip, so all train rides, bus rides, and most boat rides were covered.  We did have to pay extra for the special trains (up to the mountaintops, etc).






I believe I may have taken a quick nap on this train ride.





I enjoyed watching my parents point out the beautiful waterfalls along the way!









There is Staubbach Falls!























These balls made of rock held together by metal ropes were outside the power station. 



The skulls of their favorite sheep or goats, perhaps?
















The views along our walk were gorgeous.



And the shops and hotels were adorable.










Lauterbrunnen is famous for its lovely waterfalls and for being a beautiful town in a valley with towering rock faces on both sides.

The most famous waterfall is Staubbach Falls (= dust stream, I assume because it makes a fine mist like dust).





I had heard that there was a cave up underneath the falls and I was very interested in checking it out because we hadn't seen it last time we were there.







You can see the path!










I laid on the ground to take this funny picture of my Mom!



My Mom walked up to the base of the falls with us and then decided she needed a bit of sitting time, so she found my Dad and enjoyed a cute bench!  We had already exhausted my poor parents, but happily there was a lovely bench they could sit on and watch the world go by.













We walked up farther to get to the falls.






There were pretty flowers.






And pretty church steeples:















We started walking up a dirt path, which turned into a ramp, which turned into stairs and then a tunnel!




We walked into the clouds!



















There's the spray of the waterfall!



The floor of the cave was quite slippery, so we made sure to hang on to the metal hand rails.



It was damp and cool and lovely!










After a while, we started down.














Then we headed back to Interlaken and SLEPT!  In BEDS!!!


And . . . 
the next day we saw the Jungfrau!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! xo