Friday, August 13, 2021

With Rick & Karen - Plus Big News!



The next morning was nice sunny (and warm!), and I was a bit sad to leave the cabin and lake.
But I was happy we'd get to see Greg's Dad and Step-Mom, Rick & Karen!





But first, we watched the girls' dance recitals video.  



I got snuggles.



Esme needed to show me some more cool stuff from Fauxday.



Then Greg and I headed off to Karen & Rick's!
It was good to see them and they had gifts for us!

They got me a book about things cats teach us, and they made Greg an artwork from this cool puzzle with a beautiful cat and a bunch of science things (and Einstein, because Greg also is a genius).  


Here's what I was wearing (mirrors are so weird - this mirror makes me look way tiny and another mirror I used during the trip made me look kind of chunky).

I'm wearing a top from who-knows-where
skirt: Rekucci (Amazon)  

The next morning was my BIG MEETING!

I haven't told you the full news, but here is it: Greg and I are moving home to Minnesota!

While I was in college, I attended a church in St Paul that I LOVED.  It is really brainy and has an approach that worked for me better than any other church I've ever known.  When Greg and I got married, of course I moved to Arizona, and no such churches were available.  There was no internet streaming at the time, so I read books written by the pastor, but I didn't attend for many years. As the internet got better and I got sicker, I needed that encouraging and intellectually challenging point of view because my local churches weren't offering much theological stimulation (or hope, honestly).  I first started out by watching the service every week and did that for a number of years.  Then when COVID assaulted us all, the church began offering book studies, classes, and small groups online.  I signed up for everything I could!  It helped me through difficult health problems and challenges with my local church.  I really disliked the theology and leadership structure of the local church we attended in Arizona, but I was able to practice loving the people and being flexible about some issues.  The friends I've made in the groups also helped with the split from our former local church and the hurt that was caused from my experiences with churches.  I have made dear sweet friendships and my life has been truly lived with these people, even in spite of the physical distance between us.  

About a year ago now, I sent a care package to the pastor of the church and his wife, who have had a horribly difficult couple of years.  Because of the huge impact this pastor has had on my theological training and my spiritual development, I included a couple of Chirp Curriculum lesson stories to thank him for his investment in me (though he didn't know he was investing in me!)  He called me to thank me for the care package, and we got to talking about disability/special needs ministry and he shared that they haven't been able to get a stable and successful team running, though they really want to.  I mentioned that I was potentially available if they were interested, and things went from there.

He and I have been communicating now for many months.  While Greg and I were in Minnesota in July, I had a meeting with the pastor and a children's pastor from the church.


Here's what I wore:
blouse: mystery, Beall's
skirt: Rekucci (Amazon)
mask: Etsy


The meeting went GREAT!  I felt heard and respected and valued for my experience, heart, and education.  I felt on the same page as the pastors and it was very comfortable at the same time as I was feeling shaky and excited.

The result of the meeting is that I will be leading the special needs program at this church and it's A DREAM COME TRUE!

There's more, too.  Since COVID, Greg has also become convinced that it was to move back to Minnesota again.  Not only did he also develop a heart for this move, but things changed drastically with his employer.  Previously, they had been against employees working permanently remote.  Greg's wonderful boss then switched departments . . . and approached Greg about following him to that department.  Greg told him that he would like that, and the stipulation would be that he would need to work remote permanently from Minnesota.  It took many weeks and a lot of "taking it up the chain of command," but the day we left for our summer Minnesota trip, Greg got the final approval.  There is still some work to be done to get everything in writing, but we are now sure that this is happening. 

After the meeting (which felt like the most important "business" meeting of my life), I felt shaky and sweaty and HAPPY.  I went to Target because I had some time between the end of the meeting and lunch with Greg, his Dad, and Karen.

After the meeting my dear friend Maggi (from my church online small group!) took us for a paddle boat ride on the Mississippi River!  Greg and I were there, as well as Karen & Rick, Maggi, and 2 of her delightful grandchildren.


bag: Scarleton
sandals: Sketcher's Bob's For Dogs (Amazon)



Here I am with Maggi!



There's the boat!



It was a very humid and warm day (in the 90s), but we survived!

The scenery was interesting.






There were stories about all sorts of fascinating historical events.






There's an eagle's nest!






It was hot enough that bald eagles were cooling themselves in the river!






















What a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! xo