Friday, January 7, 2022

New House Thoughts



We got to spend time at our new house chatting with the inspector and it was super extra duper fun to look around and get more comfortable there.  I've looked at the photos and the online listing so many times that the house is already starting to feel like our home.


There was a lot of good news about the house from the inspection report.
There aren't any huge issues, just some smaller maintenance and fix-it sort of issues.  Both the inspector and Greg's Dad said that the house is well-constructed and well-maintained.  We are relieved and happy!  Nothing stands in the way now between us and owning this beautiful home except a few more weeks (we close on February 8).


Now that we are waiting for the title company to get their work done so we can finally close on our new house (this is sadly still a month away!), I have been thinking about the first things I would like to do to add our personality and style.


The first thing that comes to mind is that I would like to have the inside walls on the upper two floors painted WHITE.  I like how white bounces the light around and makes rooms feel spacious, open, and clean.  We are planning to have this done before we move in.  The basement was recently finished and the paint, while not the color I would have chosen, is in great shape and looks clean and fresh.


At the same time, I would like to have the front door painted a shade of blue.  I'm still pondering the exact shade I'd like.  I'll pick out a few and let Greg vote and then see what's closest from the brand the professional painter uses.


This is the front door now.  I do like red front doors a LOT, but blue is better for us.



I'm thinking a cornflower or a sapphire blue.




Of course, the front entry way will need a nice big rug to prevent slush, snow, and rain from damaging our hardwood floors.  I really like this one.



My Mom mentioned that we might want something with darker colors due to the aforementioned slush, snow, and rain, so I'm also considering this one.  I like the colors and design of both of them, and I think my Mom is right about the darker color!



UPDATE:  Neither of these came in a 6-foot diameter, which is what the space needed, so we bought a different one altogether!





What a beautiful view from the main bedroom!
I will probably change the draperies fairly soon.  There are blinds, which I like, but we might also want drapes.  I assume we'll want blackout drapes and I found the perfect ones!  I really like the minimal gold designs in the fabric.



UPDATE:  The blinds and curtains in the main bedroom are really lovely and in great shape, so we have left them alone and are very happy!


Out our bathroom window (the little sticky note says that blinds have been ordered and will be installed before closing);



UPDATE:  The blinds that were installed in the main bathroom are VERY COOL!  They open from the top or the bottom, so we can have them open still while doing naked things in the bathroom.  Neato!


We're planning on getting a king bed soon instead of our queen, and I've found some comforter sets I like (I don't like duvets).


UPDATE:  We decided that we prefer a queen-sized bed, after all!
We did buy a new bed and mattress and comforter, but not any of the following!

Here's my favorite one.  I like that it's reversible!  I would use the darker side in the winter and the lighter side in the summer.



As far as the bed itself, I have some thoughts.

I want a wooden bed (not upholstered).  I would like a headboard but no footboard.
The wood needs to be pretty.

This one fits the bill!



We also will need a 3 shower curtains, and I would like one for the main bathroom that has personality!
I like this one:



It would look nice with our dark blue towels AND our cornflower blue towels.


Here's the view from the downstairs great room.
We have outside furniture that will look great out there when the weather is more conducive for sitting outdoors!



Here's the view from the patio.



I can't get enough of the view!
I'm VERY GLAD we made a private back yard with a view a non-negotiable item on our list.


Here's the view from the downstairs seating area
(I think this will be a TV and lounging area but everything is still in flux!)




Here's the view from the dining room area.
It had just snowed quite a bit the night before, and the trees had their pretty dresses on!
We just learned today that this pond is a protected wetland.  We're proud to be its caretakers!



Moving on to the kitchen, I'm happy to say that it's pretty great, and I would just like to do some minimal style changes to make it feel like us.  The faucet is black and the other appliances are stainless steel or white (most of the appliances will be replaced within a couple of years, probably, because they are original to the house).  

I really like the backsplash - it's modern but rustic, which is right up my alley.

Look at the view I get while I cook and wash dishes (though there is a dishwasher!)




I would like to add gold knobs on the cabinet and drawers:


UPDATE:  We haven't replaced the knobs, at least yet.


I think black outlet covers would look good, but I'm open to stainless steel also.  We'll test before deciding.

Option #1:






Option #2:
(find them here)



UPDATE:  We prefer the stainless steel!


I want to add these bar stools and I like that they have blue (our favorite color!), black (to coordinate with some of the other things in the kitchen), and GOLD (which I'll be adding a bunch of to the house in general).


Here is the light I'm thinking about for over the sink:





I would like to replace the track lighting with something like this:



Eventually maybe the light over the dining table and the light in the entry way could be changed to match this style.


It would be fun to add these knobs on the pantry door!



As far as the pantry goes, I'm EXCITED to organize it and use it!

The two sides of it (it's kind of a triangle-shaped closet) come to a point, and I read that the best way to utilize that space is to put lazy susans in the corners!



UPDATE:  These are horrible.  Please don't buy them.  I have removed the link to them.  They are flimsy and don't spin well.

I would pick something like this over the sliding glass door in the dining room.  
I think they're really pretty.



That's pretty much all I would like to change at the beginning!  Just small things, but FUN things!


Also:
Greg took his Minnesota driver's license test yesterday and PASSED,
and last week I got Minnesota license plates and a Minnesota title for Clarabelle (my Nissan Kicks).  My driver's license test is scheduled for Monday.  My business has been "domesticated" so it's now a Minnesota-based small business.  


We're chugging right along getting ourselves situated here in our new home state!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! xo