Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Pre-Birthday Fun

 


My birthday has passed by a few weeks now, but I haven't posted all the birthday fun yet, so here comes some more!   

A few days before my birthday, I met Jen in downtown Mesa to browse the vintage shops.  We wore our masks except while were were drinking some beverages outside.   

I like looking at all the weird and wonderful things in the used goods shops.
What's going on with Popeye's chin?  Why does it look like boobs or eyes?!
 

The tall skinny poster is of Hundertwasser, an artist and architect.  I first saw his interesting and creative work while I was studying in Austria, and I have happy memories especially of visiting the Hundertwasser Haus.


 I like this baskety thing quite a bit.   I could use it for magazines, books, blankets, cats . . . there are a lot of options!  But I didn't buy it.

Here's a very strange nude for you.  It looks like a very large naked person protecting a very small naked person with a spider dropping down on them from above.



All the stores required masks.
   


We found an interesting place called the Soul Center.  We investigated because the sign was so fascinating.  What is a soul center?  What are the cruelty free, handmade, vegan/plant based items we could find within?  We chatted with the guy inside for awhile.  They sell some things (which were pretty cool), but they are also a working space, a place for small businesses to expand business without having to pay the cost of a full facility - they have rooms in the back for acupuncturists or massage therapists to ply their trades), and a training place.  Very interesting and helpful to the community!


Here I am!

 

Then more vintage shops.
I enjoyed this funny "tension meter" - it's perfect for COVIDgression (that's COVID aggression!) 




 And who doesn't love raccoons?!  I love their pyramidal shape in this photo:



I don't know what these are, but I think they are art insects made up of seashells.  I've never seen anything like them!




On the way out, this gentleman scarecrow was being munched by cute little mice. 




Downtown Mesa has some pretty great murals!
We found this butterfly one . . . but it needed something in the middle.


 We provided the necessary addition!

 



 Jen bought me a birthday sparkling water, and we sat outside and chatted for a few minutes before heading home.  It felt like a little island of normalcy. 

Then we had one more store to check out.  It's one that has a lot of artist-made wares.

 There were crocheted corona virii! 


 


I like looking at the dinosaur breaking out of the Arizona Museum Of Natural History, and in honor of autumn, he was tearing apart pumpkin people!  Eeek!


 


 Don't forget the GAZPACHO! 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! xo