Saturday, March 9, 2019

Riparian Preserve With My Dad



My Dad and I had some nice time walking around in the Gilbert Riparian Preserve
this past week.

Here's a summary:



We started out in the library because we wanted to find out about the observatory.
We came across this info about a mammoth found in Gilbert in 2005!!!
I don't know how I missed that news.


Here's a little rabbit as we were walking into the park.


There were lots of beautiful apricot mallow blooms.





There's the observatory!





It was a warm (around 83) day and the sky was beautiful.












I've been to this preserve a couple of times before, but I've never
found the pollinator gardens!


There were lots of butterflies and hummingbirds 
and this verdin, who was busy building his nest.
They build round nests with the entrance underneath,
and they usually choose spiky trees to keep the predators away.
















We wandered down to the water, of course, because it draws us like a magnet.
There were plenty of adorable ducks!



This one appeared to be comfortable having a nap on ONE LEG while her head
was bent back and lying on her back.


Many ducks were sleeping under bowers of tree branches to keep cool.


These were especially colorful.




As we were walking over the bridge, we saw lots of turtles.
I love turtles, even if one bit me when I was a kid.  I tried to feed my "pet" turtle, Kansas,
a Nerd (the candy) and he latched onto my finger and wouldn't let go.
My Dad was able to save me by prying him off.



These turtles decided to be in stacks.



My Dad investigated these beauties, and they are ringneck ducks.
They have a body shape similar to wood ducks, but they're black and white as if
they're dressed up for a fancy event.






This fine lady was sitting on the railing as if it was the comfiest place in the world!
Her husband is poking around down in the reeds.



Thanks for the wonderful afternoon, Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! xo