Thursday, June 10, 2021

California: Day 2



Our first morning in Encinitas, we decided to go for a nice walk to explore.  Cindy has been all over the place already, but there was a lot I needed to see!

We paid special attention to the interesting plants and the adorable houses everywhere in the town.

Above (any of my identifications could be wrong, so be cautious listening to me!) is an African Iris.


This is what I wore for our casual walk.
top: ? from Beall's (I think this might be my favorite top and it's wearing out - oh no!)
hair bow: J Crew Factory
skirt: Rekucci (Amazon)
shoes (you can't see in this photo): Sketcher's Bob's For Dogs (Amazon)


I added this cropped distressed denim jacket from Guess? because it was chilly and a cross-body bag from Scarleton (Amazon) because I need my stuff with me!


I guess at some point before we left our room, I changed to a mustard-yellow hair bow.


Here's a different kind of African Iris (bicolor):


Purple Orchid tree:


Kangaroo Paw:


I was a SANDBUCKET when I got home!  I had to vacuum and then vacuum more because sand dropped all over the floor from me, from my bags, from my wet suit, from the boogie board . . . I should collect it and make a mini beach!



Bird Of Paradise:


Hibiscus:


Here's a neato Jade Plant!


Rose!


Natal Plum:


Huge Hibiscus bloom!








A bloom from a Jacaranda tree fell on me, right between my glasses and my eye!


We walked to Stonesteps . . . 
the steps are actually made of wood and metal, not stone.  The steps go right down to the beach.






Cindy said she usually walks up and down them EIGHT TIMES . . . I hate stairs.  My ankle isn't a fan of them and I'm slightly off balance because of how it doesn't bend quite right at that angle, so I am slow on stairs (going down, anyway).  No thanks to 1000 stairs!


It sure is a beautiful place to get some movement, though.


Plus, there's a tile mosaic half-way down of a brunette mermaid
who looks like she is going to kiss this big wave!





This is a very fancy house with an outlook tower on top:


Royal Purple Smoke Tree that looks like it is growing moss (I guess that's the "smoke")!


More Kangaroo Paw, but in beautiful red:


Cosmos (or Mexican Aster): 


I like this cute yard with all the interesting succulents and the rocks and pavers.



Purple Rubber Fig Tree:





Canary Aonium, sometimes called Pinwheel Succulents:


Hibiscus:




Floss Silk Tree - look at those thorns!








Look at this cute house!  I like horizontally-grained wood doors!



Rock Purslane:


Agave Potatorum (really!):



Sunset Aloe:


Angel Trumpet:




Crown Of Thorns . . . 


Here's why!  Look at those crazy spikes!  And apparently there's a sap inside that's mildly poisonous.  I learned about this plant from a website about using poisonous plants for home security (ha!)


Bottle Brush:



We ended up back at our motel, where Clarabelle was happily resting:


Then we walked the other direction (south) to see things that way!


Arbutus unedo or the strawberry tree:








"Encinitas" lights in front of Leucadia Pizza:



Little mushrooms:







This was the direction of downtown.









We visited La Paloma theater later in the week!



The electrial boxes were painted pretty designs.






Fancy tree roots of a huge ficus:


Grevellea Longistyla.  This one might be my favorite because it's so weird and pretty!






Walking fish house:


Sea Lavender:





A cute lending libaray!





California Tree Poppy:





Bird Of Paradise:


I will not be attending this church:


Pretty colors!






We took some time to poke around in the cute little shops:

That's a pretty turquoise!


I found this dress at a secondhand store.  It's by a brand called Rails, and when I looked it up after I got home, I found that it would have originally cost more than $150 new.  I got it for $15!


It's got cute red metallic cherries on it!


I also got this unlabeled skirt.  I like the colors and I thought it would look good with a t-shirt on a casual day.  It's cotton and very cool and floaty.


There's Cindy!


Then we had pizza at Leucadia Pizza!


The veggies were cut in HUGE chunks.



There was a breeze, though we were under an awning.


Then it was time for THE BEACH! 


Can you see our motel in the background?


Our room was #303.


This day I discovered that there were warnings about the bacteria levels in the water.  I looked it up, and apparently a waste treatment facility in Mexico broke open and spilled its gunk into the ocean.  The gunk then washed north, where this beach was still measuring high.  I tried to keep my head above water and the water out of my mouth and nose.  I wasn't about to stay completely out of the water, but it did gross me out a little.  I'm sad that humans make such a mess of things.


It was chilly (in the 60s) and it took awhile to gear myself up to get in the water!








But eventually we both did it!



We were happy:





We went back to our room eventually, showered, and got dressed.  We ate dinner (chili maracroni thatI had brought along plus some potato wedges).  



Cindy braided my hair into this beautiful braid!  Then we walked to the grocery store for some grub.






The fruits and veggies were beautiful and well-organized.




They stocked some cute gift items, too.



I had put on WARM clothes because I was very chilly after having been in the water.

lace pants: INC International Concepts (Macy's)
sweater: Style & Co (Macy's)
denim chore jacket: Everlane
sneakers: Target
bag: Scarleton (Amazon)
mask: Etsy


bow: J Crew Factory



When we got home, I remembered we didn't have a knife, so I dipped this apple in the peanut butter whole!  It worked okay but it was very messy indeed!

And then we slept!  

See you tomorrow for the next chapter in our adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! xo