Wednesday, June 9, 2021

To California With Cindy!



I just got back from a week in Encinitas, California with Cindy!

As much as I love my regular life, it's fun to get away sometimes, and that was especially true after being mostly at home for a year and a half!


I had fun packing . . . 

This is my normal wardrobe palette: black & white with blue, pink, and mustard accents.





I did a lot of things before I left to make sure Greg would have as easy of a time as possible, to have food for the trip, to take care of work things for the time I was gone, and to have a tidy home when I got home!


I made TONS of food.  I have a very particular diet (meant to reverse some chronic illnesses - and it's working!) and I don't like to eat out too much because it's challenging and often makes me feel not that great.  I froze a bunch of meals and put them in the cooler, a cooler bag, and this cat litter bucket with ice in it!



On Tuesday morning, I headed to Cindy's house to pick her up!
I did not forget the boogie board.  




Cindy brought a boogie board, too, but she didn't use it as much as I did because it's one of my absolute favorite things in the world to do.


We saw a coyote cross the road.  Can you see her?


We drove past the space alien restaurant and motel.


And we stopped for lunch near this strangely-shaped mountain.






We had brought some food with us.
I had chickpea salad (like tuna salad but with chickpeas) on crackers with pineapple and chocolate chip cookies for dessert!



Back in the car!



Someone took a little nap while I was driving.  


There is an area right over the border into California that has lots of huge windmills.  They are pretty and interesting!






We kept driving and driving until we arrived!  It's about a 6 hour journey (not including bathroom and fuel breaks).  I was happy to see that the OCEAN was right at the end of our street!


That's Moonlight Beach.





And we stayed at Moonlight Beach Motel.

Clarabelle (my Nissan Kicks) was happy to be in the cool air and happy for a nice rest.


We could see the ocean from our balcony (in fact, I could see it from my BED!)


Soon after arriving, we decided to have some dinner and then head to the beach.
We went to my favorite vegan fast food place, Plant Power Fast Food! 


They have beautiful flowers and plants everywhere.  This particular location (in Encinitas) used to be a gas station, but it's been revamped into a gorgeous flowery paradise.










Lilacs!





We ordered from the automated machines.



California still requires masks in public (though not outside unless the business requires it, which Plant Power did in their ordering areas).  


We were HAPPY and HUNGRY.





I accidentally ordered an iconic burger (rather than my usual classic burger), and it had carmelized onions and plant-basee cheese on it, meaning that it was extra super messy.  I was all covered in deliciousness.


Thank you, Plant Power!


When we got back to the motel, we changed and got right down to the beach!
On the way, there was an extensive succulent garden planted by a homeowner who wants people to enjoy wandering through it.


Cindy carried my boogie board for me:





We have these in our yard!


This guy planted a little nest full of succulents in a tree!


There was also a wall of interestingly-textured vines.


And then the beach and the OCEAN!



My first wave riding of the trip!



Cindy's feet:



Some cairns:


My ocean get-up includes:
back-up glasses or sunglasses (a former prescription just in case they get swept out to sea)
long-sleeved rash guard
boy shorts
wet suit
hat if it's daytime
+ HAPPINESS and a BIG SMILE


The air temperature while we were there was only in the 60s (except for one day when it hit 72), so the wet suit was a great help!  Most days the water was warmer than the air, but it was still chilly.




It was getting dark by the time we decided we were ready to leave.


Then we went back to the room to relax, watch some Netflix, and eventually SLEEP to the sound of ocean waves.


More California beauty coming tomorrow!

Until then, enjoy these waves . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! xo