Tuesday, February 19, 2019

A Lot Going On!






This time of year is gorgeous here!
This week is exceptionally chilly for us.
It's been a perfect winter - chilly with quite a bit of rain.
Yesterday we even got HAIL!

I have had a lot of things happening and I've been fairly busy.
I've been doing moderately well energy-wise, though
I have to rest a lot more than I'd like.  I'm striving to be content with a slower pace
of life.  Sometimes it's easy; sometimes it's hard (especially when I have a lot
going on in my head!)

It's fun to have cats.
It's especially fun when they want to snuggle a lot,
and winter is one of the things that makes them want to snuggle a lot.

Allistair:




Allistair snuggling


Juvy with her cute pink tongue sticking out:





The blankets are dark and make it tricky to see, but there are THREE
cats all bunched up around me.



Similar situation.
front black cat: Juvy
black upside down black cat: Stephen
grey cat: Allistair


Stephen:


Claude getting kisses:


Claude


Allistair getting clean:


I have started giving our Stephen boy some hemp oil each day.
He's been anxious since the day we met him (when he was about 4 weeks old).
As a tiny kitten, he hissed and spit at us.
He looked like this:

And just because kittens are SO CUTE, here's Allistair as a little baby:




They really grew into their ears.

Once I met Stephen, I was determined to give him the best life possible 
so that he wouldn't have to be afraid anymore.

We've done a good job!

I tried pheromone diffusers, but the thing that has worked the best is the hemp oil.
I put some in his wet food every morning, and he's much calmer and more loving. 

And just look at that sweet face! (and those magnificent whiskers!)


Allistair:


Claude;


sweet Juvy: 


 


Claude (slightly grumpy):




Claude looking out at the backyard:


Juvy cuddling my hand:


Happy Christie:

Stephen:


Allistair:


Allistiar relaxing with Momma:




My parents are in town during the winter, and they always host
a relaxed Superbowl Party.  This year I took chili and chocolate chip raisin cookies.

There was PLENTY of food!


I was EXHAUSTED this day.
I had recently returned from the wonderful trip to Texas,
I was still recovering from a cold, and the Superbowl is always on a Sunday,
after a solid few hours of crazy students.
But I very much enjoyed the time, the food, and the company!


My parents' place is beautiful and comfortable.


My Mom and Dad worked hard to have great food
and a welcoming atmosphere.


I'm not as good at large-group selfies as Greg is, but I tried!
Left to right: my Mom, Bonnie (my Mom's dear friend and I love her, too!),
Den (Bonnie's husband), my Dad,
Greg, and me!



All of a sudden a few weeks ago, my body told me to RUN.
Before Crohn's Disease, I used to run 2-3 miles a few times a week.
I had about a year stretch where I ran almost every morning, even through
the hot summers.  It's the happiest and fittest and healthiest I've ever felt,
but I really thought I couldn't do it anymore.

But I've been experimenting with running again.
It's been in the high 30s here in the mornings, and it's just right for
getting out there and enjoying the crisp air!

Here's my running get-up for winter:
t-shirt: Target
sweatshirt (water resistant): GAP
pants: Betsey Johnson (Ross)
shoes: Asics

Minnesota pride!


hat: gift from my dear prior student, Judy and her Grandma Elaine



My joins are extremely sensitive to certain foods (like soy!),
and something I've eaten lately (I think too many tomatoes)
has sent them into an uproar.  Right now it really hurts to run,
but I'm doing it anyway because it's proven to be excellent for joint health.
Plus, I feel REALLY GREAT afterwards!
Runner's high is REAL.


Come on a run with me!
We'll start by noticing the bright blue sky. 




We will pay attention to the cute little creatures.


The trees make pretty patterns against the sky.


The palm fronds are interesting.







There are lots of fallen leaves in the park.





Here's our path!


This tree is one of my favorites.



When we get home, Allistair is sitting on this box on the dining room table.
We help him get down.


We decide to do a bit of yoga,
and Stephen joins us. 


Thank you for joining me!


Another fun thing I did lately was to surprise my Mom
by inviting my friend Cindy to lunch!
My Mom has gotten to know Cindy quite well over the years,
and they love each other.
It was wonderful to have two of my favorite women together at the same time.


Here's what I was wearing.
jacket: Ross
top: Charter Club (Macy's)
pants: INC International Concepts (Macy's)
bag: Target



Here's the outfit without the jacket.
shoes: Target

My Mom and I went shopping after lunch that day.  Yay!

We started off at Ross.

I found some great things!
By the way, I shop a lot when my Mom's here, but because 
most of what I buy is useful year-round, I shop a lot less
during the summer (also because I don't like to be out as much in the summer!)

I love soft lace and bell sleeves.
This top has both!


I'm confused on sweaters this year.
Last year I found some wonderful ones (Target),
but this year everything seems to be extra short and boxy.
I like my sweaters LONG so I can wear them with leggings and skinny
jeans.  Sigh.  I know that fashion keeps on changing so that we'll buy more stuff
and it's kind of annoying.  But wearing the same exact thing forever would be boring.

Anyway, I needed more cardigans to go over blouses (which
are long enough to wear with the leggings and skinny jeans).

This gray one does the trick!
Although after having worn it once, I bought it too big.  Boo.


I wanted an exercise bra that was inexpensive, yet did a good job.
I found one!  $6.99, I think, and it's perfect.
I always size way up (this is a large) because otherwise I can't get them over my head!


And then there are these wonderful pants.
All I want to wear this winter are soft ponte knit pants.
These are soft, stretchy, and comfortable.


I was wearing out by this time (lame! my wimpiness embarrasses me!)
but some sparkling water and a That's It bar revived me so
I could enjoy venturing to Target.


I bought two clothing items there: a blouse and a dress.
Both with DOTS!





Here we are!


The blouse is a hard color to capture - it's a deep forest green and it's lovely.
I don't have anything in this color, but I like it on me.
.




I also bought this dotted knit faux-wrap dress.
It fits nicely (though it is quite body-conscious).
It's the last dress in this style I think I'll buy, though,
because I really like myself in a-line styles better.


Here's how I styled it for its first outing:
light blue faux-leather jacket: Ross
sweater: Ross
dress: Target
tights, shoes: Target





Here is the first outfit I created with the green blouse:
blouse: A New Day (Target)
skirt: Rekucci (Amazon)
tights, shoes: Target

Sunday evening Greg and I separately went out to dinner with our small group
(men together, women together).  The women met at Grabbagreen, and I liked it a lot.
I ordered a bowl with black beans, brown rice, veggies, olives, and an orange cashew sauce. 




Then we went to Creamistry in downtown Gilbert.
It's an ice cream place that makes the ice cream right in front of the customers.

Downtown Gilbert is thriving after a few years of difficulty.
There are all sorts of interesting things there now!







Here's a photo of my outfit with much better lighting.
This is the actual color of that beautiful blouse.


I got almond milk cherry "ice cream" with dairy-free mini chocolate chips.
It was delicious and I ate every bite! 



My Mom's dear friend Bonnie donated a SodaStream to us!
It's been much better than I expcted!  I enjoy the process of pumping the bottles
full of CO2, and the water tastes great.  The machine is sleek and easy to use, too.



Last Wednesday we had my parents over for dinner.






I made potato green bean chowder and self-assembly salads with banana peanut butter 
raisin chocolate chip cookies
(that's hibiscus tea in the background). Everything turned out great!






Stephen even asked his Grandpa for pets!


Later that evening, all four cats joined me for some reading & snuggle time
in bed.




Good night!
Sleep tight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! xo