Saturday, March 2, 2013

Ocotillo Blooms

What's making me happy today?


#1.  The DESERT!

I have shown you Ocotillo before, but never in BLOOM!  I know it's a little difficult to see the orange flowers because of how sunny it was when I took this photo, but it was the best of the bunch.  I will keep trying!

I went hiking again on Thursday at the San Tan Mountain Regional Park (alone) and enjoyed it immensely.  I  ended up walking about 4.5 miles (up and down over some mild hills), and it was too far for me in this condition.  I have been exhausted since then!  But I have had a great week.

More photos from the hike:
A family of Cholla cacti

Beautiful desert.
You can see Four Peaks between the two big Saguaros,
and right in front of it, you can see the Flat Iron, which is in the Lost Dutchman State Park.
It's the lower flat part.
 Last January, I climbed it all by myself!
It doesn't even really have a trail to get up there.
It's rated "difficult".  I was very proud!

Ettiquette for meeting rattlesnakes (not that I ever have!)

Tall Saguaro with sun.

Something most people don't think of: sunscreen for your lips!
Many skin cancers end up on lips - don't let it happen to you!


Pretty little yellow flowers in the protection of the cactus's spikes.
"No one will eat me here!"


Part One of the Vulture Adventure!


Part Two of the Vulture Adventure!

And right at the beginning of my hike, I heard this beautiful birdsong:

I came home and looked up that song in my "Bird Songs: 250 North American Birds in Song," book, which has an attached player so I can dial up the bird in question and see what his song sounds like! I found out that the bird in the video above is a Sage Thrasher (to the best of my ability to tell, anyway!) 

#2:  New TOYS for the kittens!

First, here is Allistair with his NEW fetch-able MOUSIE!!!



And here are some silly videos of the new toy-on-a-stick we got!



Stephen wasn't sure at first whether he LOVED it or HATED it - he wanted the puff-ball fishy part at the end, but he didn't want the stick trailing him wherever he went.



But as time went on, he got a little more used to it.



He even let Allistair play a little bit.  



Cute little Baltazar


Fancy little crossed paws

#3:  Shrimp Fried Rice!

I made it yesterday for the first time.

First, fry the shrimp in oil.

Then, fry the rice and add some eggs.

Then, add vegetables and shimp.  Add vinegar, spices.  Stir and heat. 

MMMmmmmmm!!!

Happy Saturday!!!

2 comments:

  1. Is it a good idea to hike alone....opps, the mother in me. I'm sure you let Greg know where you are going. Can you use your cell phone on these hikes?LOVE the blooming Ocotillo, beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right to think about whether hiking alone is safe! The places I hike are well-traveled trails. I always see other people on the trails. AND I always take my cell phone. It sometimes doesn't get a signal. I don't think it's any more dangerous than walking on the sidewalk in my busy neighborhood. In fact, since I'm walking with a hiking stick, it's probably safer! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! xo