Friday, November 24, 2017

Thanksgiving Feast (Vegan!)



I cooked a LOT on Wednesday and Thursday and had fun (though I TIRED myself plumb OUT!) 
I tried some new recipes, and almost everything turned out pretty well.
I will start out by saying that I made a few slices of turkey, but they were dry and not too tasty.
If I make turkey again, I will make it in the slow cooker where it won't get dried out!
The sweet potato rolls turned out weird, too, and the recipe has now lost its chance with me.
I've made it three times, and it only turned out good one of out three times.


Here was my list of things to do and when to do them.


First I started out on Wednesday by making two pumpkin pies.


They turned out fairly well, but we were all too full to eat any!
I sent some home with Greg's Mom and step-dad, but I still have a pie and a half in the fridge that probably won't freeze very well. . . 
maybe I'll take some to church on Sunday to celebrate Thanksgiving with my team!

Final product:
find the recipe here


Then I assembled the butternut squash soup.
I put all the ingredients in the slow cooker and then put it in the fridge until
Thursday morning, when I plugged it in at 8:30 or so.



Final product:
find the recipe here


Then I moved on to the cranberry orange bread.
This was my first attempt at making this recipe, and it's a good recipe - with a few modifications.
Given a second chance, I would delete or drastically change the method of preparing this bread.
It required squeezing oranges (next time I will buy orange juice pre-squeezed!)
It required zesting oranges (this isn't so bad, but I might buy orange zest).
It required chopping the cranberries (not so bad).
And I mistakenly put on the icing drizzle when the bread was cut and I guess too much of it,
so the bread got soggy after awhile.  The taste of the bread was delicious and next time I will leave off the icing altogether.


Final product:
find the recipe here


Then I made up the cranberry sauce and the shepherd's pie.



MMMMmm!  Tart and beautifully colorful!
find the recipe here

I can't give you a link to the shepherd's pie recipe because 
I sort of adapted a bunch of other recipes into one of my own.


This time I made a really thick vegetable and lentil stew (veggie broth, frozen veggie mix, 1/2 cup of red lentils, spices + corn starch for extra thickening), then covered it all with a layer of mashed potatoes (dairy-free).  I baked it for 90 minutes at around 400 in an oven that had lots of other things in it (if it's alone in the oven, it probably wouldn't need that long).

You will also see two sweet potatoes wrapped in foil on the bottom shelf
(along with the weird sweet potato rolls that didn't work out).

The shepherd's pie was the main dish. 

  I set up the table with olives, pickles, fruit salad, cranberry sauce, and bread,
in addition to the oatmeal raisin cookies Greg's Mom brought.




 Greg's Mom also makes wonderful mashed potatoes and gravy, and she 
was kind enough to bring some to share.


 And there you have it: a delicious vegan Thanksgiving feast!!!



We enjoyed having all the windows and the sliding glass door open
 to appreciate the lovely weather!
Greg installed the new cafe lighting he bought me for my birthday
and it looks PERFECT!!!








If you're in the United States, I hope your Thanksgiving was peaceful and full of family, friends, and good food.

I am grateful most of all for the perfect love of Jesus that surrounds me at all times and in all circumstances.
I am grateful for my husband, Greg, and the many blessed years and memories we have shared.
I am grateful for my wonderful family, so very dear to my heart (and Greg's family - you count as mine!)
I am grateful for my dear friends who support me and encourage me.
I am grateful for the four loving fuzzy creatures who share our life with us.
I am grateful for the cozy house that has been our home for 20+ years.
I am grateful for our health.
I am grateful for the chance to live meaningful, purposeful lives bringing God's Kindgom here to Earth in every way we can.

Blessings and peace to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! xo