Friday, June 1, 2018

Cooking & Cats






My sweet friend Sara came over last Thursday evening to
cook and EAT and chat and laugh.
I gave her four menus to choose from . . . 



You'll notice that none of the options include dessert, because
I just wanted to make DOUGHNUTS!!!

Sara picked walnut black bean burgers and red lentil casserole.
I'm very glad she did!  It was a delectable meal.

I have made both of these recipes a few times now, and
I LOVE them both.  In fact, I've been making the creamy red lentil casserole about every other week and freezing half for the following week.  
It's surprisingly full of flavor for how simple the ingredients are
and I like having it around for quick and easy meals.
It would make a great casserole to share with friends who need a meal provided, too.
Makes TONS, good for people with allergies, simple, and quick.
And TASTY, of course!

I started out with this recipe, but pretty much don't do it this way at all now -
I've made up my own version that I like better (and that's easier).


I made this again this week with added zucchini, 
and it was even more delicious and nutritious!
Same bowl!

This casserole is like my chicken noodle soup.
Whenever I feel a little draggy, it makes me feel nourished, taken care of,
and nurtured.


Here are the basics . . . 

Chop 1 red onion and 4 cloves garlic. 
Brown in veggie broth on medium high heat.

Deglaze as necessary with veggie broth.

Add chopped carrots, red bell pepper, and zucchini 
(and whatever other veggies you think might be good!)

Brown veggies.

Add 1 tsp smoked paprika,
1 tsp turmeric,
1 tsp salt,
a dash of pepper,
and whatever other spices you like.
Stir up and allow spices to get fragrant.

Add 1 cup red lentils.
1 cup brown rice rotini (or lentil rotini!)
Stir for 1-2 minutes.

Add 5 cups veggie broth
and 2 cups water.

Simmer until casserole consistency.
If too thick, add veggie broth or water.
If too watery, add more lentils or pasta.

Taste and add salt or other spices as desired.

ENJOY!!!



The walnut black bean burgers were inspired by a visit to the Alamo Drafthouse, 
an eat-in movie theater where I was able to order a gluten-free vegan burger!
It was smoky and satisfying, with a wonderful flavor.
I used this recipe (with a few adaptations).

I don't really love burgers on buns - I like to pile my burgers high
with ketchup, then pickles, then greens, then shredded carrots, then shredded red cabbage.
It's artistic and appealing.  Plus nutritious and delicious!


It was CRAZY how much it looked like animal meat.
I'm very glad it wasn't made out of animal, though! 
No one had to suffer and die, AND it was much much tastier.
No cholesterol, no saturated fat.
Lots of nutrients, lots of taste!



Then, of course, we made the doughnuts!

Plain doughnuts with chocolate glaze and sprinkles!



We put crystallized ginger on top of this one - spicy!


I have little round plates that I use as trivets when I'm cooking/baking,
but I've decided they're actually DOUGHNUT plates.
How cool am I that I have doughnut plates?!?!?!



Now we're on to the cat part of this post.

I go outside in the mornings and some evenings so Juvy can have some
supervised outside time (she used to be an outside cat, and she still likes to rub her face on the tree trunks and roll in the leaves).  Right now there are lots of nests and baby birds.

Here is a Mourning Dove nest.
It's ridiculous - it's almost completely flat and it's very sparse.
I can't see how an egg can stay in there!


Sunset . . .  


Happy girl in the rocks. 






They're all so cute that I can't seem to leave any out!!!



Juvy also joined me on my stationary bike the other day!


Last night the boys (Allistair and Stephen) and I read in bed for awhile.


Obviously, poor Allistair was exhausted.

Look at those big fuzzy paws!





It's another case of too much cuteness so I can't leave out any photos!




I tried to take a selfie with Stephen, but he looks pretty annoyed.





BONUS:
Greg and I went to see "Solo" on Monday and here's what I wore.
The movie was pretty good, but I didn't particular like any of the characters.
I miss Harrison Ford, too.
top: Lucky Brand (Macy's)
skirt: Rekucci (Amazon)
bag: Betsey Johnson (Amazon - closest similar bag I could find)



Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! xo