Friday, November 2, 2018

U Of Mn





This day of my trip to Minnesota was ANOTHER fabulous one!
I planned lunch out and then a visit to my alma mater, the University of Minnesota!
I don't think I've been there since I graduated (23+ years ago - whoa).

I had a nice slow morning and then got ready for lunch with my
Kindergarten teacher!  Hello, Mrs. Chacka!

I wore this . . . 
rain coat: Kenneth Cole Reaction (Poshmark)
blouse: Maison Jules (Macy's)
pants: Express
socks & shoes: Target



I'm very glad I took a raincoat because it was POURING almost
the entire day.  I loved it.


Mrs. Chacka (Cheryl) and I met at Granite City Bar & Grill. 
They were celebrating Oktoberfest!




Sometimes I catch that Kindergarten Christie seeping out and I can't
believe that it's been 38 years since I was in Mrs. Chacka's class!


I got this delicious pizza-like thing with tomatoes
and basil and a balsamic glaze on top.  That glaze was delectable!


Also, it was beautiful!


After that lunch, which was lovely,
I was only 18 minutes (according to Guinevere, my GPS) from the U of Mn campus.
My parents now live on the West side of the Twin Cities, which is much closer to
the campus than where they used to live on the East side.
This way it wasn't a huge hurdle to get over there and walk around.

There's the first glimpse through the rain of the dorm where I lived
and where I met Greg!


I parked in Dinkytown, a quirky neighborhood near my old dorm.


The Purple Onion used to be in a different location, but 
it's still around!  I met friends there every once in a while. 




Many things have changed, but a lot has NOT changed, too.
This beautiful old church is still there. 



Those colorful apartment buildings across the river are still there.
I was there once for a study group. 


And there's Sanford hall!
My room during my first year of college was on the top floor of the section to the left (Tower). 


Isn't it pretty?


During my second and third years of college, I lived on the top floor
of the older section (Reno).  I met Greg my first year, when he lived on the Reno side (room 232 if I remember correctly).


 This is pretty much as west as the campus gets, and now there's a pretty sign right to the west of
the dorm.


I stood in the grass or snow here many a time in the middle of the night when
some drunken fool had pulled the fire alarm . . . 


Honestly, in spite of a few changes to the surrounding area, I
really felt as if I could walk right in, go up to the third floor, and start studying!
Or meet my friends for a meal in the dining hall.
Aging is the WEIRDEST THING.





I waited for someone to come along and I snuck in.


Now there's a little shop inside!
All we had was a pizza kitchen some Friday evenings
(I staffed it sometimes!)


 This hallway didn't used to have anything in it, but now
it has little areas for chatting and studying.


There were lots of fountains to fill water bottles.


The dining hall is now where an open area for foosball, pool, and hanging out used to be.


They serve Davanni's pizza!


I couldn't get in to see any of the rooms or roam the halls,
but nonetheless, being there brought back all sorts of happy memories
from the most memorable time of my life. 

Not necessarily all good . . . I remember looking out the top window on the end there
and feeling very lonely during my first month at college.


But most of my memories are better than that because I didn't stay lonely long!

After I explored the dorm a tiny bit,
I decided to walk around campus in the rain.  LOVELY!

I remember how much I loved the scenery around the U of MN.
It's the perfect mix of nature with urban.


 There's the Dinkydome!  That's the domed building back there.
It has shops inside and a big study area under the dome.
In a basement shop is where I bought all my books.




THE TREES ARE GORGEOUS.

I don't know how I survive in Arizona where there aren't any "real"
trees like these!







That's the Minneapolis skyline across the train tracks and the Mississippi River.
I took photos of this exact view many times during my years there.
In all sorts of weather.


The trees in the little valley were turning beautiful fall colors.



Walking across this bridge, I had a nice view of Dinkytown.
That's where we used to go when we wanted some fast food.



There's a weird double-decker restaurant that is snuggled right
up to the railroad in Dinkytown . . . I think I might have eaten there once. 


Then I came to the campus proper. 





I can't get enough of the TREES.


 I knew the campus was astoundingly beautiful and interesting while I was there,
and I always loved walking around.  I was happy to have to walk between buildings,
even in the cold (most of the time!) because I like facing the elements and experiencing them.


JUST LOOK AT THAT!


  
 This is Folwell Hall, where I had A LOT of classes.
I majored in German (planning to go into international law or teaching)
and this was the foreign languages building.
I love the old heavy brick style.
It is my idea of how university buildings SHOULD look and feel, just
because I spent so many happy hours learning here.



It even has gargoyles!



I remember sitting in one of my very favorite classes, which was being taught by one of my favorite professors (Professor Gerhardt Weiss), and watching huge fluffy snowflakes drift down from the sky.



The inside is gorgeous, too!
Look at all the marble!
You can see raindrops on the floor.
Now that I think about it, this floor became extremely slippery 
when it was snowing outside.




The stairs are very beautiful, too.






Professor Weiss took us out on this green grass for a lecture more than once, if I recall correctly.
Minnesota has a LONG DARK winter, and everyone gets antsy when spring finally arrives.
All anyone wants to do is take off as many clothes as possible and lie in the sun.



Right next to Folwell Hall is this weird little building buried in the grass.
It's where I bought supplies and paid my tuition every quarter. 




And here we have an interesting juxtaposition between the modern and the not-modern!
I really like how the water is running down that textured cement wall.




There I am in my raincoat with my umbrella!


I have been thinking about a specific spot Greg and I went one time, and
I wanted to see if I could find it, so I went exploring.
I would have explored all the way across the river,
but I only had an hour until my parking permit expired
AND I knew my parents would want to see me home before rush hour -
especially in the rain when I am not used to driving in the Twin Cities.


I LOVE SQUIRRELS!
We don't have them where I live.
I remember them being everywhere and being adorable when I went to school here.


This one posed for me.
I just kept snapping away. 


I only took one pair of shoes to Minnesota with me, so
these shoes weren't the best for the rain.
They did okay, though!

  







And this is the building I remember!!!
Elliott Hall (where a lot of Psychology courses were held).






Greg and I sat on these things, talked, and watched the river.







I think the Minneapolis skyline is beautiful, too.  I love how it disappeared into the clouds.
Look  how pretty the railroad tracks are, too, in between the trees! 




I walked down a little way and saw another fabulous view.



Here you can see more river.
At night I used to be able to hear the barges while I was sleeping
because my dorm was right along the river.


My camera lens got wet while I was filming the leaves falling!



I mean, REALLY!  How lucky was I to get to go to school HERE?!









It was a beautiful day with lots of happy memories!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! xo